BlazerNation
Forum

Basketball Pickem Forum

BlazerNation / Basketball Pickem'
Week 15 picks Subscribe to this topic (Soon)
AuthorMessage
almadenmike by: almadenmike
# Posts: 464
Level: City Council

There are only 11 games this week, but four games yielded quite a difference of opinion among the leaderboard's top 4: Two for one and two for the other in LaTech @NTex, UAB @FAU, Rice @UTEP and Maryland @OhioSt. Will one go 4-0 while another goes 0-4?

UM Ftball Tiger still has a large lead. I'm 189 back, odu09 trails by 241 and BlueRaider95 is another 10 behind.

Tonight's Gonzaga @BYU game could play a big role: UM picked BYU to Show in the Bonus Question (Most Assists), while each of the next four in the leaderboard chose Gonzaga-Show. Will that game (which is on ESPN2 @7pm Pacific time, BTW) be an Assist-Fest for both teams? Or just one?

Good luck to all!

Posted: 2/22/2020 11:14:28 AM

Saturday starts with a big upset: Kansas dominated Baylor throughout their game in Waco, and survived a wild finish to win by 3. Only #15 HerdnBucks and #28 Optimistic Owl picked the Jayhawks to win.

And midway through the 2nd half, Middle Tennessee is thumping USM in Hattiesburg!! #20 techdawg88 is the only one of us who is predicting a Blue Raiders' win.

And how about the lack of respect (justified?) most of us seem to have for our CUSA teams' assist prowess. #13 Tailgater15 is the highest-standing competitor to choose a CUSA team in this week's Bonus Question. He has USM-Show. FAU-Win, WKU-Place, NTex-Place & ODU-Show are the only other CUSA Bonus-Q votes. On the other hand, Gonzaga got 12 votes (2 Place, 10 Show) and BYU, Creighton & Baylor getting multiple votes.

Posted: 2/22/2020 12:22:36 PM

Three straight upsets, as Middle Tennessee prevailed ... and LaTech scored with a single tick left to beat North Texas in Denton.

At the top of the leaderboard, UM Ftball Tiger & I are both 0-3 so far. #3 odu09 and #4 BlueRaider95 each picked LaTech ... so they're moving toward us!

Posted: 2/22/2020 4:42:54 PM

Lots of wild finishes and unexpected winners in Saturday's seven early games. I'm 1-for 7 ... but 0-3 in the four contested games in my first posts. The other folks in the Top 4 are 2-1, however ... so I'm losing ground ... so far. Congrats to the winners!

Bonus Question leaders are Charlotte (17) and Marshall & UTEP (15).

Posted: 2/22/2020 7:06:10 PM

Few picked either Oregon or BYU to win in our late-Saturday games -- and no one picked both of these upsets. But in addition to its shocking, 13-point win, BYU also got a whopping 22 assists to take a commanding lead in the Bonus Question standings. And in defeat, Arizona had 16 assists, knocking our contestants' favorite -- Gonzaga -- OUT of the Show position. (Charlotte is currently Place, with 17.)

Our leader, UM Ftball Tiger, fantastic Bonus Question prognosticator that he is, picked BYU, of course. So he's nearly a lock for 50 extra points that his four nearest pursuers will NOT be getting, which he will use to increase his already substantial lead with future weeks of oppotunity for the rest of us dwindling.

Personally, after my dismal 1-8 Saturday, I'll need a much better Sunday result (there are only 2 games; I have limited expectations), or odu09 and/or BlueRaider95 could move into 2nd place. And if I DoN'T do better, they'll deserve it.

Good luck to all!

Posted: 2/22/2020 10:26:02 PM

My poor showing this week -- 2-9, with 0-4 on the contested games, and no bonus points -- combined the the good results by virtually everyone else in the Top 7 will make the race for 2nd place a lot tighter. But UM Ftball Tiger should increase his lead substantially, by virture of going 3-1 on the contested games and getting 50 bonus points for his BYU-Show pick.

odu09 was 3-1 in the contested games, and BlueRaider95 was 2-2, so they should move up.

#6 BlazerHV and #7 TikiOwl should also get closer to the top, since they will get 50 and 75 bonus points, respectively, for their Creighton-Show & Creighton-Place picks. (The Blue Jays had 20 assists, to finish 2nd.)

One more week of regular play, then the conference tournament round before the season-ending humongous March Madness round, where with all the regular-season upsets, we can really expect anything to happen, can't we?

Posted: 2/23/2020 5:24:51 PM